Focus topic for Summer 2019 CF Roundtable: ENT Problems and Sinus Disease
(Submissions due June 15, 2019)
Below are thoughts and questions regarding the focus topic to give you some writing prompts. Please feel free to write whatever you want regarding this topic and/or anything you think might help someone else with sinus issues.
- Do you have sinus disease or ear problems? Have you had treatments or surgeries that helped? Tell us how you handled your problems.
- If post-transplant, did your symptoms worsen or improve?
- If you are taking CFTR correctors/modulators (Vertex drugs), did your symptoms improve or worsen?
- Have you had sinus surgery? How many? Were they beneficial? Frontal obliteration? Removal of turbinates? Removal of polyps? Are you satisfied with surgery? If many, how long do they usually give you relief?
- Do you use any nasal lavages? Steaming? Antibiotic rinses? What kind? What do you find helps with your sinus disease other than medications or surgeries?
- Do you have post-nasal drip, mucus going into lungs? Coughing at night, inability to sleep without coughing?
- Do you have sleep apnea? Do you use a CPAP or BiPAP at night? Does it help with sleeping? Do you wake up feeling better or worse?
- Has your ENT or surgeon performed in-office procedures to open up closed sinus cavities or removal or polyps? What helped?
- Do you use any alternative therapies to help control your sinuses (e.g. colloidal silver, essential oils, etc.)?
- What’s your biggest obstacle in managing your sinuses?
- Do you have hearing loss (from antibiotics)? What do you do for this? Cochlear implants? Hearing aids?
- Inner ear, vestibular and balance issues? Did you try any therapies to help? How has this been treated and if so, did they help alleviate the problem(s)?
- Ear infections? Tubes in your ears?
Article submission requirements:
Article and photo requirements for CF Roundtable:
- Byline (how you want your name listed)
- Lengthis 750 to 1500 words and must be original (not previously published)
- Bio- at minimum it includes your age and where you live (city, state) and anything else you’d like to add, e.g. contact to your webpage or email; hobbies, pets, family, SO; If you look at past CF Roundtable issues, you’ll see the bio at the end of each article to give you an idea.
- Picture(s)- one high resolution picture (500K to 2MB in size, an unaltered, un-cropped smart-phone pic will do) to go with the article. We would also like an additional picture of you with your friends, family, pets or hobby, etc for our 4-color section. Include a caption (when, where or event) and the first and last names of anyone else in the picture.
Sample caption: Joseph Smith with his sister, Joanne Smith, in New York City.
- Article and pics would need to be emailed to the editors (Andrea Eisenman & Sydna Marshall). firstname.lastname@example.org