The West Coast Bike Ride Aims to Raise Awareness for Cystic Fibrosis
and Promote the Importance of Exercise
New York and San Francisco, September 19, 2016 – The Boomer Esiason Foundation (BEF) today announced that its cystic fibrosis (CF) ambassador, Jerry Cahill, and Emily Schaller, a CF patient who started cycling, running and Continue reading Boomer Esiason Foundation’s Cystic Fibrosis Ambassador, Jerry Cahill, to Ride in 3rd Annual Bike to Breathe Event
During a recent trip to visit my aunt in Florida this spring, I was faced with a bit of a dilemma – where to exercise. With a CF exacerbation threatening to emerge, I couldn’t slack off. All I really wanted was to breathe in fresh air with as vigorous a walk as I could muster and maybe even take in some local sights. Continue reading Travel Exercise By Jeanie Hanley
I couldn’t believe it. I was walking around the pool at a resort in Mexico and I noticed a woman reading a newsletter that looked very familiar. As the subscription manager of the CF Roundtable, I know that we send out less than 1300 copies around the world per quarter. The odds seemed slim Continue reading Small World by Mark Levine
Preparing to travel with cystic fibrosis requires attention to detail and being prepared for the unexpected. Within the last year I have decided to travel by air – a new and exciting experience for me! I have created a “master” flight check Continue reading Flight Travel and Tips–Guest Blog by Meranda Sue Honaker
After a seemingly endless winter here in New York, a few of my friends and I decided it was time to get away. Check out my buddy Dave in the picture above! We buried him (when I say we, I mean my other friend Joe did while I sat there reading a killer book because I have more
To conitunue reading go to link: http://gunnaresiason.com/
If you are contemplating plane travel, here are a few brief tips that may keep you as healthy as possible. This blog covers the things needed to do at the airport. First, items you will need to bring with you to the airport: large disinfectant wipes, face-mask (carbon-filtered mask highly Continue reading Travel: Airplane Safeguards, Part II–Guest Blog by Jeanie Hanley
Meet Beau Rich – a 23-year-old filmmaker, actor, writer, musician, and traveler living, breathing, and succeeding with cystic fibrosis.
After a series of tests and hospital stays, Beau was diagnosed with CF at six months old. By the age Continue reading Podcast 136: Cystic Fibrosis, Living with it and Enjoying Life
When I travel, I always seem to forget at least one thing. I’m telling you, it’s always something. Every time I travel. I’m not saying I have a poor memory or that I am starting to experience early senility in my mid-forties. Truth is there’s a lot to remember. Continue reading Travel Checklist – Guest Blog by Mark Levine
Anna Modlin, 32 with CF, born and raised in the Bay area and had a double lung transplant on November 22nd 2010. Anna was diagnosed at 18 month of age, had a fairly normal childhood, hospitalized for the first time at 4 years of age and then not until junior high school. Anna graduated with a Masters in Counseling Psychology and her hobbies include cooking, spending time near water, and post transplant has become passionate about exercise. Anna, a true fighter, competes in the Transplant Games and gives back by volunteering in the CF community. Anna is LIVING BREATHING SUCCEEDING, passionate about living and “The hero of her own story…”
Listen to her story here.
- Anna prepares a travel list before ever adventure.
- Some things on the list include: Mira Lax, masks (N95), hand sanitizer, Clorox wipes, and an extra lithium battery for her glucose meter.
- Anna always “carries on” her medications, has a letter from the doctor, washes hands frequently, and only drinks bottled water on trips (never tap water…). “Also I carry extra scripts…” states Anna.
- Anna will always request a refrigerator at hotels but if not available will use an ice bucket at hotel.
- Insurance… just in case there is a problem with flights or getting sick while travelling, Anna always purchases travel insurance. Anna likes Travel Guard. (www.travelguard.com).
- Sinus issues? Anna travels with Neil Med saline packets for sinus rinses and uses distilled water.
- “Since constipation is common for normal people when travelling, people with CF should use Mira Lax to help combat this problem.
- Anna’s Travel Tips
- Before: check list & chargers/adapters, and pre board.
- During: Hydrate, Snack, Positive attitude
- After: Rest
Have any of you users of The Vest out there ever failed screening at the airport security check point? Usually one of my various machines causes concern, either the nebulizer compressor, oxygen concentrator, or The Vest. Sometimes I’ve been the “concern”, Continue reading Airports security–Guest Post by Jeanie Hanley