The United States Adult Cystic Fibrosis Association (USACFA) is excited to offer the Lauren Melissa Kelly Scholarship award for the Fall semester 2017. The scholarship will range from $1500 to $2500 and be awarded to adults with cystic fibrosis who are pursuing career certifications, associates, and bachelor’s degrees.
Read on to learn more about Lauren Melissa Kelly and see below for scholarship criteria and requirements.
Lauren Melissa Kelly was an extraordinary woman. *Laughing, gregarious, spontaneous, fun, talkative, driven, thoughtful, smart, kind and loving — all descriptive terms for Lauren, who lost her battle with CF late in her senior year at the University of Georgia. In 1992, Lauren was chosen as one of ten Senior Leaders at University of Georgia. She had distinguished herself as a member of the Golden Key Honor Society, Mortar Board, Phi Upsilon Omicron, Gamma Beta Phi, the Tate Society and Delta Gamma sorority.
Lauren felt the most significant opportunities of her college career included participation in the reconstruction and formation of organizations which will serve the university in the future. She acted as one of the re-founding members of the Phi Kappa Literary Society and was significant in the metamorphosis of the Z Club into the William Tate Society. Her other activities included Greeks Advocating Mature Management of Alcohol (GAMMA) in which she served as Secretary and Special Events Chair. She was also a member of the Women’s Glee Club for more than two years.
In recognition of her academic performance, Lauren’s degree of Bachelor of Science in Family and Consumer Sciences was awarded posthumously. At the time of her death, Lauren was engaged to be married and living off campus in an apartment. She lived life to the fullest!
Walt Disney said, “Don’t cry because it’s over, smile because it happened. It’s not the days in life you remember, it’s the moments.” As Lauren’s mother stated, “I smile because she happened to me. Now, I want you to smile because she has happened to you.”
*Lauren’s bio was provided by her mother, who provided the scholarship grant in her memory.
- The individual must be a United States Citizen and over the age of 18 years old.
- The individual must have a positive diagnosis with cystic fibrosis.
- The individual must be pursuing a bachelor’s degree, associate’s degree, or certificate.
- The individual should not be an immediate family member of someone on the USACFA board.
Requirements to include in the application:
- The USACFA Scholarship application form (includes the 3 essays)
- A copy of an official transcript from high school (and current college if you have completed coursework)
- A copy of proof of enrollment for the Fall 2017 or Spring 2017 semester
- A resume
- A letter from the doctor/clinic on letterhead confirming cystic fibrosis diagnosis
- A headshot
ALL requirements must be sent in PDF or other appropriate digital format to email@example.com by Friday June 30th, 2016 at 11:59pm EST.
Application Form and Instructions
- Download our US Adult CF Association Scholarship Application 2017 form to your computer.
- Open and fill out the application form using your computer.
- Once the form is completed, please save the file.
- Make sure all other requirements (from above) are completed in an appropriate digital format and attach them in a single email sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.